Email is the best way to communicate with me.
But before emailing me, read the following information to see if your question has already been answered.
Please note that as of September 7, 2021, we are currently sold out, and we will not be shipping any orders through the end of the year.
Please be aware that I will tend be very slow to respond to emails over the next few months, so if you don’t hear back from me, most likely it simply means that I haven’t gotten to your email yet.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I contact you? Email is the best way to reach me. I use a conversation management system that keeps track of your emailed conversation. That way, I don’t drop things through the cracks as often. I have regular phone hours – hours during which I’m in the office and able to answer the phone. I don’t return calls, and I don’t have voicemail because I don’t want to spend time listening to a recording and then playing telephone tag. If you absolutely have to hear my voice, call during the scheduled phone time. Otherwise an email conversation is the best way.
- My chicken has an ailment, how do I treat it? I am not a vet, and I don’t answer questions about how to treat this or that ailment. On our website there’s a recipe for a garlic tonic that has been effective – your mileage may vary.
- If your bird develops issues after you have had them for awhile – it is your issue, not mine. See #2 above.
- What breed do you have available? What we have listed on the website is what we have for sale. Don’t waste your time or mine by asking for something that is not listed on the website – we don’t have it.
- Your dog killed a neighbor’s bird, or vice-versa, and you need a replacement right now. See #4 above.
- What is the minimum order size? The minimum order is 4 birds. Chickens are social animals, and they need companions, and I don’t want to deal with a bunch of single bird orders.
- Your favorite student/niece/teacher/etc. just needs 1 bird, so can’t I just ship one or can’t we just come by and pick up one bird. No – see #6 above.
- Can I pick up my order on a different day? The designated pickup day is the only day for picking up your order. If you can’t pick up on the designated day, then don’t order.
- I can’t pick up on the designated day, can you hold the birds for 2 more weeks (or 2 more days) until I get home from my cruise to Alaska? No – see #8 above
- When we pick up our birds, can we take just 30 minutes of your life and poke around your farm? Maybe, but are you willing to weed, plant, harvest, mow, chop wood, answer emails and whatever else I need doing, so that I have time?
- Do you have bantams or silkies? No. Ever tried to eat a bantam?
- Do you have started pullets for sale? Yes, usually. See the product pages to find out what we have.
- Can you ship started pullets? Yes. No, we don’t ship outside the United States.
- Shipping costs. We ship ALL orders USPS Priority Express. The shipping costs include the cost of the box, installing the bio mesh, assembling the box, the gro-gel (added to supply hydration), the cucumbers (added to provide nutrition), loading the birds into the box, and taking the birds to the USPS distribution center in Coppell (200 miles round trip).
- What age are your started pullets? We have switched from a minimum age of 4 weeks to a minimum age of 5 weeks. In the week between 4 and 5, the chickens grow between 20 and 25%, depending on the breed. This added growth gives a bird that is much more robust, able to handle shipping much better and is better able to handle variations in temperature.
- What type of feed do you use? We feed non-GMO, non-Soy exclusively. We’ve found that our birds have better weight gain and better vigor on a non-GMO, non-soy feed.
- Can I pick up chickens from your farm instead of having them shipped? Yes. Once you place your order, I’ll contact you to arrange the pickup time.
- I can’t find your physical address on the website. I know. That’s intentional. I want to know you are coming, so please don’t just show up. We are a working farm, and when people just show up, we have trouble getting our work done. If you are picking up an order, I’ll contact you with the physical address.
- Are you a grouchy old man? Old, yes. Grouchy – no – just ask my grandchildren. It’s not that I don’t want to be syrupy sweet and cater to your every desire, it’s just that I’d rather be in the garden with my wife and grandkids.
Do you have a question that I didn’t answer above?
The next page explains how to contact me.